Electronic W-2 Forms

Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, is used to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them. Employers must complete a Form W-2 for each employee to whom they pay a salary, wage, or other compensation as part of the employment relationship. The form also is used to report FICA wages and taxes to the Social Security Administration. You submit information from Form W-2 as part of your personal income tax filing

To support campus-wide sustainability and cost saving initiatives, the University allows employees to elect to receive electronic W-2 forms in place of paper forms. IRS regulations, which allow employers to provide the option of electronic forms instead of a paper format, require that each employee give his/her consent to receive an electronic W-2 form in place of a paper version. In addition to supporting sustainability, issuing forms electronically minimizes the potential for identity theft by providing a more secure way for employees to access their form compared to having the form mailed to their address on record.

To take advantage of this, employees need to access MySlice and consent to receive their W-2 form electronically.

Instructions on how to make the election to receive an electronic form

The electronic W-2 form contains all required information and complies with all applicable IRS revenue procedures. Employees have the ability to view and print their W-2 form on demand through MySlice. If filing a paper income tax return, the electronic W-2 can be printed and attached to the tax return mailed to the IRS; if filing an electronic income tax return, no paper W-2 form is submitted to the IRS.

For those employees who do not have regular access to a computer, but who want to support sustainability and who want to sign up to receive electronic forms and/or to view or print their electronic forms at any time during the year, several locations across campus are equipped to provide assistance. These locations include:

  • The Human Resources office located in Steele Hall
  • The Payroll Service Center located in Skytop Office Building
  • The Physical Plant Human Resources office at 285 Ainsley Drive

All employees who terminate or retire from the University continue to have access to MySlice to view their pay information and to access their electronic forms; that access remains effective until the end of the following year from the date the employee terminates or retires.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about electronic forms should be directed to the Payroll Service Center at 315-443-4042.