Bursar FAQ’s


What are the course fee charges on my bill?

Some classes require additional expenses not covered by tuition. Typically these fees are for extra materials for the class. Class fees are generally listed in the Schedule of Classes publication and on the MySlice class search website. An explanation of what class fees cover should be included on the syllabus or the student can speak with their professor, or department chairperson, or the Dean’s Office to find out exactly what the fees cover

How much are late fee charges?

If the balance on the account is $499.99 or less, the fee is $85.00. If the balance on the account is $500.00 or greater, the fee is $120.00

How do I pay my bill by electronic funds transfer (EFT) or credit card?

Visit the Make a Payment section of our website. The fee for credit card payments is charged by a third-party vendor contracted to process credit card payments for those wishing to use them for payment of their bill. It is not a fee charged by the University.

How can I view my bursar account online?

Go to MySlice, enter your NetID and password. You will see a link under ‘Finances’ called ‘View Student Account.’ Click that to enter the student account site.

When will I receive a bill and when will it be due?

The main campus billing schedule is available here.

Tuition and Fees

Where can I find information about tuition, fees, and related policies?

Click here for the Syracuse University Tuition, Fees, and Related Policies Bulletin.

What impact does dropping a class after the financial deadline have on my tuition charges?

  • Undergraduate and Law students: If you choose to drop a course after the posted financial/academic drop deadline, you are financially responsible for that course. If the combination of hours registered and dropped after the financial deadline exceed 19 hours, you are charged the published per credit hour rate for each hour over 19. The financial deadline for each semester can vary depending on term, program, and/or class. Students should check the Financial Deadlines info available on their student account via MySlice.
  • Graduate students: If you choose to drop a course after the posted financial/academic drop deadline, you are financially responsible for that course
  • Leave Of Absence/Withdrawal: We may adjust charges for a term based on the date of your leave/withdrawal. Please refer to the Tuition, Fees, and Related Policies Bulletin.


Information about refunds can be found here.

Monthly Payment Plan

Information about the monthly payment plan can be found here.

Housing and Meal Plans

How do I change my meal plan?

You may log on to MySlice or visit the Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services office in Steele Hall, Room 206 to change your meal plan.

Who do I contact regarding lock core and room damage charges on my account?

Contact the Office of Student Living at (315) 443-3637, or visit them at 111 Waverly Avenue, Suite 200, or contact Facilities Services at (315) 443-4948.

How do I add funds to SUpercard?

Log on to MySlice to add food and/or PLUS money to your account. The minimum purchase is $25.00 and will be billed to your University Bursar Account. You can also call the Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services Office at (315) 443-2721 or send an email to housing@syr.edu

Financial Aid

How do I apply for additional financial aid such as loans, etc?

Go directly to the Office of Financial Aid website. You can also contact their office by calling (315) 443-1513 or via email.

Health & Wellness

What is the Health and Wellness Fee?

The Health and Wellness Fee is a mandatory fee for all full time students at Syracuse University. This fee supports the Counseling Center, Health Services, the Department of Recreation Services, and the Office of Student Assistance. Students can participate in the services and activities offered by these departments during the semester for which the fee was paid. The Health and Wellness Fee is not health insurance.

What does the Health and Wellness Fee cover?

  • Counseling Center services such as alcohol and drug counseling, crisis counseling, therapy and group counseling
  • Department of Recreation Services
  • Health education and wellness promotion
  • Health services including allergy clinic, ambulance services, flu shots, HIV testing, medical appointments, medical transportation, nutrition counseling, 24-hour on-call service, psychiatric appointments
  • Office of Student Assistance
  • Substance abuse prevention and health enhancement

Health Insurance

Why am I being charged Health Insurance?

A student’s health and well-being is crucial to their capacity to learn. To ensure students are prepared for medical situations that could create barriers to their learning, Syracuse University requires full-time, matriculated students to carry qualifying health insurance coverage. Through the Syracuse University Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), eligible students have access to comprehensive health care coverage.

How do I waive/enroll in the Health Insurance Plan?

The Health Insurance enrollment and waiver must be completed every academic year for all full-time matriculated students. Please visit the Health Insurance website.


Who do I contact regarding parking charges?

All questions regarding parking charges, permits or fines, should be directed to Parking Services at (315) 443-4652. Please have your SUID number available.


Who bills my bookstore charges?

The University Bookstore is responsible for billing customers for any and all purchases made at the bookstore on charge accounts. You may contact the bookstore regarding any billing questions at (315) 443-9950 during store hours.

Enrollment Verification

Who do I contact for enrollment verification?

The Registrar’s office can provide this information for you. You may contact them at (315) 443-2422 or visit their website for information.

Tax Information

When will I receive my 1098-T form?

Information about the 1098-T form can be found here.