Payments to Vendors

U.S. Vendors

U.S. Vendors must submit a W-9 form which provides their SSN and a permanent home address in order to receive a payment from Syracuse University as a vendor.

The University is required to report payments of $600.00 or more made to vendors for services on form 1099-MISC to the recipient and to the IRS. Payments totaling less than $600.00 are not required to be reported.

Non-U.S. Vendors

A non-U.S. vendor must submit a W-8BEN form in order to receive a payment from Syracuse University.

Generally, payments to a non-U.S. vendor for services preformed in the U.S. are taxable income, subject to withholding at 30%, and reportable to the vendor and to the IRS on form 1042-S. Payments for services preformed by non-U.S. vendors outside the United States are not taxable or reportable.

The existence of a tax treaty between the individual’s country of residence and the U.S. with a provision for such payments may result in an exception to the exception to the withholding requirement, if the individual meets the terms of the treaty.

If the payee is a non-resident alien individual who is a U.S. person for tax purposes (e.g., passes the substantial presence test), or business incorporated in the U.S., a W-9 form is required. Only the individual or business entity can make this determination.

Questions regarding payments to U.S. vendors should be directed to Disbursements Processing at 315-443-2484 or

Questions regarding payments to non-U.S. vendors should be directed to Payroll at 315-443-4042, option 2 or

Purchase Order Related:

If you receive an invoice directly from a vendor please verify the purchase order is present and correct, date and sign off on the invoice and forward it to Disbursements Processing, 108 Skytop Office Building.

Payments that are Exceptions to the Purchase Order process:

A requisition form should be completed. Include the vendor name, address, business purpose, amount and chartstring. Obtain the appreciate signatures, staple the vendor invoice to the back of the requisition and forward it to Disbursements Processing, 108 Skytop Office Building.

Credit Card purchases:

Retain the receipt from your purchase and submit it with your JP Morgan Chase credit card monthly reconciliation that bills that charge.